Portenta X8 is a powerful, industrial-grade SOM with Linux OS preloaded onboard, capable of running device-independent software thanks to its modular container architecture. Take advantage of onboard Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Low Energy connectivity to securely perform OS/application OTA updates. It’s basically two industrial products in one, with the power of no less than 9 cores. Leverage the Arduino environment to carry out real-time tasks while Linux takes care of high-performance processing.
The Portenta X8 features an NXP® i.MX 8M Mini Cortex®-A53 quad-core, up to 1.8GHz per core + 1x Cortex®-M4 up to 400MHz, plus the STMicroelectronics STM32H747 dual-core Cortex®-M7 up to 480Mhz +M4 32 bit Arm® MCU up to 240Mhz.
Key benefits include:
- Two industrial products in one, combining Arduino’s availability of libraries/skills with container-based Linux distribution
- Outstanding computational density - a total of 9 cores within a compact form factor
- Multi-processor architecture allowing power-optimized processing
- Leverage popular programming languages like Python, Java and Ruby among others
- Real-time I/O and fieldbus/control on a dedicated core
- Deploy powerful AI algorithms and machine learning on the edge
- Secure OS/applications updates over-the-air
- Industrial-grade security at the hardware level, thanks to its crypto chip on dedicated bus
- Leverage the Arduino ecosystem to expand Portenta capabilities
- Implement multi-protocol routing with a single module
- Compatible with other Arduino Portenta products
The Portenta X8 has been designed with industrial-grade security in mind.
- PSA Certified and includes the NXP SE050C2 hardware security element to provide key generation, accelerated crypto operations and secure storage.
- Awarded Arm SystemReady certification and integrated Parsec services, making it one of the market’s first Cassini Products available to developers.
The Portenta X8 includes the customizable open-source Linux microPlatform OS, built using best industry practices for end-to-end security, incremental OTA updates and fleet management.
Utilizing the cloud-based DevOps platform from Foundries.io to reinvent the way embedded Linux solutions are built, tested, deployed and maintained, the Portenta X8 benefits from Foundries.io continuous update service for cybersecurity. This service guarantees an updated image that contains all vulnerability patches; whilst the approach to containers decouples the operating system from the application, to seamlessly keep the whole system updated.
Portenta X8 enables IT professionals, system integrators and consulting firms to build and boost a wide variety of solutions for industrial contexts, and also lends itself to building automation and smart agriculture applications.
- Connected edge computer for manufacturing
- Autonomous Guided Vehicles (AGV)
- Interactive full-HD secure kiosks and digital signage
- Office & home control systems
- Navigation and control for smart agriculture
- Behavioral analytics for offices and factories
Open up even more opportunities for innovation by combining the Portenta X8 with a carrier such as Portenta Breakout or Portenta Max Carrier.
Arduino Cloud for business (optional)
Subscribe to Arduino Cloud for business with Portenta X8 Board Manager to:
- Securely maintain Linux distribution
- Get individual provisioning keys for each device
- Secure OTA update to target Portenta X8 devices/fleets
- Deploy and update applications packaged into containers:
- Pre-installed Python container
- Other Arduino customised containers
- Custom containers
Check It Out and learn more on Portenta X8 Manager.
For more information, see the Portenta X8 product page and feel free to get in contact with our sales engineers.